Since 1810, the “Le Grix de la Salle” family have been the owners of the Renaissance manor. Claude Deschamps, the forefather of the family and architect to Napoleon, 1st built the famous bridge “Pont de Pierre” in Bordeaux. This master builder’s history is forever entwined with the history of the Grand Verdus wine. The existing vineyards were planted in 1949 located southeast of St. Emilion. This was the start of a tradition of genuine Bordeaux winemaking which has been passed down from generation to generation. Today, the estate is run by father and son, Antoine and Thomas Le Grix de la Salle.
The vineyards of Grand Verdus are blessed with an exceptional terroir and micro-climate and benefit from the special topography of Bordeaux. Work in the vineyard is regulated by ensuring the health of the soils and preservation of eco-systems. At each step of the wine making process, tasting is the main guide for the choice of a precise harvest date, respect for the right level of extraction during fermentation and the judicious use of stainless steel or oak in the ageing process. This produces wines that have a sense of origin and are made without recipes, ensuring balance and authenticity.